Sunday, March 30, 2008

In the beginning...

Alright, so I finally decided to start this blog in some sort of attempt at keeping a record of my attempt at getting back to serious racing. It is going to be a hard road and as you will read below, I haven't exactly shown that I am capable of this since I graduated. Keeping a public record is hopefully going to keep my mind focused and give me a little motivation on the tough days.

A quick look at my life since I last "trained." Well I shouldn't say that because I did run a marathon
last fall and did run some decent mileage, but I wouldn't say I trained well for it, but I digress. It has been 3 years since I graduated from the wonderful life I had at Stonehill College. Since I graduated I took a summer of resting the legs from 4 hard years of training and suddenly before I had time to start training again I had a job. I have worked for Reebok for almost 3 years now, during which I have moved to San Diego, for work, and all that time attempted to train. Well as many may know it hasn't work out the way I wanted. With my crazy schedule I will get in a month, maybe two of great running but then suddenly lose a week or two to work. I was able last summer to really dedicate my non-work time to running and it felt great. I didn't get any workouts in and I ran a forgettable time (although, in my defense, on a horrendously hot/humid day in the Twin Cities), but I felt good about myself and felt as though training had a direction again. After that I cooked up a plan to run respectable at Boston and it was going well until I accidentally stepping on a piece of glass and suffered for 2 1/2 months dealing with that until the doctor finally removed it all last month. Now I am trying my best to get in good enough shape to pace Dianna, my lovely FIANCE, through Boston in less than a month.

So that is where I am right now. Clearly I left many details of my life out but that is the general gist of my life since college. I am living in a place where training year-round is so easy that I need to take advantage until we move back for the wedding. The plan is to suffer through Boston to help Dianna reach her goal and then get my ass in gear. As of now I am aiming at finally running well for a half marathon this fall and then see where that takes me. I plan to use this blog to track my progress through Boston and beyond. I will add little random tidbits about my life, the Sox , my travels and anything else that comes to mind. I will do my best to update daily and keep a fairly detailed training log which I will post in full once a week. Well here goes nothing, I hope you enjoy!

No comments: