Monday, March 31, 2008

Farm Hands Rejoyce

Run: 8mi, 58:41; easy day with Di around the bay, felt a little sluggish from yesterday but that was expected.

For all of you that don't live in CA, today is César Chávez Day. I had never heard of this holiday until I moved out to CA but it is actually a big deal here (along with the other 9 states that celebrate it). I had to look him up, which is sad for a person who supposedly majored in US History, but this guy was the driving force behind all modern laws pertaining to the rights of farm workers. He put himself on the front line of many very confrontational protests, including a stint of 36 days in which he didn't eat in the 1980's. I'm not saying today should be a national holiday, but I give this guy some serious credit for standing up for workers who tend to get overlooked and generally treated like crap.

Well that is my history lesson for the day. In other news I am getting ready to drive to LA to stay with Millsy tonight so that I don't have to drive up in rush hour tomorrow. For someone who stays in hotels more nights than you would care to hear about, it is nice to have a normal place to stay in LA when I need it. Not only does Matt get to have my wonderful company for the night, but he usually gets a free dinner out of it, so he never complains.

Well I got a tank of gas and a Khaos with my name on it down at Volero. Catch ya on the flip side...

No comments: