Monday, September 8, 2008

Race Report: Balboa 4 Miler

Results:  8th place, 22:08.

This is race #2 of the Dirt Dog Series and I would say I was happy coming out of it.  The Balboa 4 Mile is a San Diego tradition and it is definitely a tough course.  It is a relatively flat first mile, steep up and down 2nd mile, rolling 3rd mile and steep up and down again for the 4th mile.  To put it in perspective I have been told in the 44 years of it's existence only about half a dozen people of broken 20min.

As for my race I went out harder than last weeks 5k, going through the relatively flat first mile in 5:10ish and through 2 miles around 10:45.  It is a tough 2nd and 4th mile with some very tough footing and sand areas in the canyon, not to mention the very steep down and up you encounter.  I hung in around 10-12th through 2 miles and then moved up through the back half.  I ran a good last mile, even though I got out kicked by the same 18 year old that out kicked me in the Balboa 8 Mile just about a month ago!  I beat a few guys I wanted to catch up to and considering much more competition showed up this week I was still able to come in 8th overall and 7th as far as Dirt Dog Series runners go. 

The Lost Boys of San Diego, my team, grabbed our second win in two races and took the early lead in the series.  We added a few team members this week and we should have a solid team all year.  A few runners form adidas/Movin Shoes are still yet to show up to a race so we know it will be a tough fight for the series championship.  

Next up is the Aztec Invite 5k back at Balboa Park.

Here are the current standing for Dirt Dog through 2 races (very early on and lots will change!):

No comments: