Sunday, August 3, 2008

Training Summary: July 28th - August 3rd

Ok, so here is my attempt at returning to a weekly training update. I know I said I would do one for last week but it never happened. Last week I did take a day off so I'd rather start again on a week of 7 days!

As far as new runs from the new apartment, we have begun doing a nice hilly run through La Jolla. I would say there is less than a mile total that is flat, making it a fairly tough run, which is hard to come by when you live on a bay. The run in actually 8.25mi (according to my Garmin) and I add an full mile in at the end up to Kate Sessions and back making my normal distance for the new La Jolla route about 9.25mi.

Monday 7/28 - 9+mi, 63:40, solo effort on the hills of La Jolla.

Tuesday 7/29 - 5.5mi, 40min, ran with James when he arrived from Vegas. I made this my shorter easy day of the week.

Wednesday 7/30 - 9+mi, did the first 30min (4+mi) alone and met up with the PB Movin Shoes for a relaxed last 5.5mi. I plan on doing the Movin Shoes run every Wednesday, which will make it a good day to double or get in a workout in the morning. The run is usually very easy and Dianna is in charge of making it "great again". It has been going on for over 22 years now without missing a Wednesday, I'd say that is pretty good.

Thursday 7/31 - 9+mi, 63:15, strong solo effort on a hilly run in La Jolla.

Friday 8/1 - 9+mi, 68:30, easy with Dianna on the La Jolla run.

Saturday 8/2 - 11mi. Decided about 9:30pm the night before to go and run the Balboa 8mi race. I didn't warm up and ended up running 46:43 on a difficult course that was about 50% road and 50% dirt/grass. Ended up running a really hard last mile battle with an 18 year old who out kicked me, but I did end up running 5:12 for that last up and down mile. It was a really hilly course and I'd say one of the tougher courses I have run in recent memory (although still easier than this beast). Wished I could have run with the guys up front but hopefully I'll be up with them come the end of XC season.

Sunday 8/3 - 15mi, 1:41:43. Made it a pretty strong effort even though I ran hard yesterday. It was pretty hot in the sun and I waited until mid-day which was a bad idea. Kinda wished I was done around mile 10 but gutted out for the full 15. Run around 6:30 pace for most of the middle of the run which felt fairly good considering the effort yesterday.

Summary - 68mi, 7 days. I would say it was a good week and had a long run and hard effort back-to-back. The "race" really gave me a good backhand into reality and reminded me I need to do some more "fast" running. The 5:12 felt good at the end of the race but the pace felt like 4:30 pace. I need to add in strides a few times a week and make sure that my mid-week effort is not always a tempo but rather a quicker fartlek or actual structured workout including some faster efforts. I think I will be a bit behind going in to the first few races of Dirt Dogs but looking at all the time I have before the end of the season I think I could really make it in to a good little racing season. Thinking back I am not far off my pace of the summer before Junior year in college as far as mileage and working out so that shows I should be good come October/November and championship season.

No comments: