Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bay to Breakers Recap

So, we (Reebok) sponsor the race/insanity that is ING Bay to Breakers. This year was, astonishingly, the 97th running of Bay to Breakers. Now before I begin please bear in mind I think this event is amazing in all aspects. From number of participants to the amazing job the Race Directors do, you can't help but look by in awe. Now, if you have ever been to a Mardi Gras party, hosted by a nudist colony that happen to invite a couple dozen elite African runners...then you have a SLIGHT idea what it is like at Bay to Breakers. There are usually around 40,000 official runners, but estimates usually grow to about 60,000 actually on the course with another 200,000+ spectators. It is truly an amazing sight to see.

I have had the opportunity to have run the race last year (although I was in the top 100 and didn't really see any of the shenanigans until I finished) and this year I was able to watch from the start line. Well, I must admit as fun as running was, watching was exponentially more entertaining, yet fairly disturbing. To answer your question...yes I do have pictures. Now bear in mind there are others that I simply cannot post here, but here are a few...

NINTENDO FLOAT!


CREEPY SILVER GUY

OLD, CRAZY NAKED PEOPLE (EDITED FOR YOUR PROTECTION!)
So that gives you the slightest idea of what it is like at Bay to Breakers. It is definitely a San Francisco born and raised event. I will argue that there is nothing like this in the world. This race truly transcends running. It is far less about running and more about the atmosphere. Outside of the top 1000 people (or so) I would venture to guess everyone is walking, drinking and being generally ridiculous. Where else do you see people smoking a cigarette, pushing a keg in a shopping cart all while wearing running shoes and a bib number? Nowhere...that's where!

Watching it really makes you forget that there is a $25k equalizer first prize! Some of the best runners in the world lead this circus from Embarcadero to the beach at Golden Gate Park. Imagine seeing this fiasco run down the road after the leaders at the Peachtree 10k in Atlanta or Steamboat 4mi in Peoria!?!?! I think not. Only in San Francisco...

No comments: